Can my husband change his will without me knowing?

Can my husband change his will without me knowing?

Yes, your spouse has the ability to amend his will without informing you. In a community property state, he is entitled to one-half of the marital property and may dispose of it as he sees appropriate. In general, a prenuptial agreement handles both personal and real property in the marriage. If there is no prenuptial agreement, then the court will use factors such as how long the couple has been married, whether they have children together, etc. to determine what percentage of the net worth he or she should receive.

In addition, under Texas law, a surviving spouse is entitled to one-third of the estate if the decedent leaves no child or descendant of a child. This third must be distributed between them by the executor or administrator after considering their claims. If there are no children or descendants, the entire estate goes back into the family business or other assets owned jointly with the deceased spouse.

As you can see, deciding what portion of your spouse's estate you will receive depends on the laws of Texas and the terms of the will. Your attorney can help you decide what provisions should be included in the will and can advise you on how to proceed if your spouse wants to make changes later on.

Is it possible for the surviving spouse to change their will?

Yes, under some cases. If no consideration is provided for joint wills other than the couples' mutual consent, either spouse may amend the will prior to the death of the first spouse. However, when the first spouse dies, the remaining spouse is unable to modify the will. The only way around this would be if the remarried spouse has his or her own will that specifically states that he or she wants the former spouse's share of the estate administered under the new will scheme. For example, if Sue and John were married for 10 years and had a child during the marriage, then divorced after 5 years, Sue would be entitled to half of the estate as opposed to the whole amount like most other divorce settlements.

In addition, if the couple executed a joint will prior to marriage where they agreed to leave everything to each other, then upon marriage, the will could not be changed without also changing the marital agreement. If one spouse changes his or her will but does not update the original will with these changes, then the omitted spouse is still considered to have been included in the original will and therefore excluded from the new will.

Finally, if the couple made no previous plans regarding inheritance, then it would fall under what is called "default" provisions of the law. Under default provisions, anyone who is not specifically removed from the will receives nothing at all. This would include any former spouse unless they are specifically listed as an heir in the will.

Can I change my will without telling my spouse?

In general, you are free to modify your will without notifying your spouse. In general, if you wish to amend your estate plan to remove your spouse from specific papers, you should choose a new attorney rather than the one that represented both you and your husband. The attorney must file a updated will with the court in order to ensure that your spouse is served with appropriate notices.

If you want to exclude your spouse from taking an interest in your assets, you can do so by inserting a clause into your will stating that your spouse's interest in any property going to someone else will be deemed to have been sold for inheritance tax purposes. If your spouse objects to this treatment, they can file a lawsuit against you seeking a share of the property. This would be called "will contest."

The only time you should consider changing your will is if your spouse is preventing you from doing so. For example, if your spouse is refusing to cooperate with your attorneys and placing obstacles in their path if they hope to inherit certain items, it might be best to replace them with a new will that excludes them.

However, even then, you should still communicate with your existing attorney about how to proceed. There may be ways to work through disagreements on your own without coming up with a new will, such as appointing separate administrators or guardians for particular assets or using trust laws to protect different categories of property.

Can I change my will without my husband's knowledge?

There is nothing to prevent either of you from altering your will at any moment, and there is no legislation requiring you to be informed of anybody else's will. Your spouse may modify his or her will while you are still alive and not notify you, or he or she may change it after your death. If your spouse does not believe in attorneys or trusts, then he or she cannot stop someone from taking advantage of you.

The only way to be sure that your will is final is if it is signed by both you and your spouse. If you want to be sure that your will is effective, then you should consider including a provision in the document that specifies that it becomes effective immediately. This would allow you to go ahead with preparing your will without worrying about your spouse changing it.

If you are the sole owner of property, then it is easy to see why you would want to leave it all behind. However, if you have children or other relatives who might dispute your intentions, then it is best to consult with an attorney before creating your will. The attorney can help guide you through what options are available to you and advise you on how to proceed.

If you are the only person interested in your estate, then there is no need for a will. You can leave everything you own to another person or organization by simply signing your name at the end of this document.

About Article Author

Gary Ferrini

Gary Ferrini is a hard-working individual who always strives for more. He loves to help people with their finances, whether it be through counseling or just by being there as a listening ear. Gary enjoys his work because he likes helping people understand their money better so they can live the life they want.

Related posts